The Welcome Sign
Over the last few weeks I have been getting the boats ready for the season. The MC is fairly easy to set up and I can step the mast by myself. The Lightning on the other hand is a two person job for the mast and since the boat is new to me, it took a while to figure out how the boat goes together.
Tuning the MC is also fairly simple. Connect the side stays, step the mast and connect the forestay.. Then measure the rake, adjust the forestay as needed and hand tighten the stays. There is not much else. The Lightning is extremely complex in comparison, but still not too bad. Stick the mast in the mast step. Hook up the forestay and measure to a premarked position. Then connect the upper and lower shrouds, which may not be easy if they were left at the previous settings. Measure the tension on the upper shrouds and adjust as needed. Once set, put the mast blocks in behind the mast until the lowers are at the proper tension. Putting in the mast blocks is the hardest part. It is also dangerous for the fingers. Once the lowers are set, the mast should be at the proper prebend needed. Then you need to measure the mast rake with no tension on the the forestay. Tighten the backstay until the forestay is just taught and measure again. The change should not be more than a few inches. If so, then change the blocks and start again. We were unable to get the measurements that the tuning guide suggests. But while typing this out I looked at the tuning guide and I think we did not start the lowers at the correct tension before tightening the uppers. I am going to take a look at it again before the first day of racing and see what can be done. I also noticed that there are a few fixes needed on the Lightning. Nothing major for a 15 year old boat, but it will cost an order at one of the sailing stores. Boats make wonderful money sinks. This all made for a wonderful day at the lake. Playing with boats is fun.
Here are some pictures of the boats.
The MC with the practice sail
Actual number of the boat is 2396
The Eagle
The mast before tuning.
With the practice sails up. The main is missing some battens.
Actual boat number is 14756.
I will post a picture of the name on the boat once it gets put on.
And here is one with the proud owner
No comments:
Post a Comment